The Blog Talker: The Blog About Blogging

The Blog Talker examines the art and craft of blogging, as well as interesting blogs across the Internet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I am a woman. I am a sister, a daughter, and a friend. I am an artist, a writer, a musician, and an activist. I am always a work in progress.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Blog Safety

I've seen a few news reports about the popularity of kids blogging, particularly having to do with their safety. Apparently in their young innocence they can give out too much information online. Well, this certainly is not limited to youngsters. Older folks can be vulnerable also, particularly women, the elderly, the lonely, the handicapped (mentally and otherwise) -- it is so tempting to be trusting and to use blogs as a platform for all kinds of personal information. Here are some guidelines everyone should bear in mind:
1) Don't give out your full name. This is a "do as I say, not as I do" situation -- as a freelance writer and Web person I already have a significant profile on the Web, but the average person doesn't need to.
2) Don't give out contact information like your phone number or home address. This should be obvious as to the reason.
3) Don't give the name of the specific place where you work.
4) Consider the privacy of others and don't give full names or post photos without permission (preferably in writing).
If you can think of othe safety tips please leave a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home